Thursday, January 8, 2015

..walking in agreement..

Day 8
In the beginning, God affirmed, "It is not good for the man to be alone." These are words that have resonated for ever and ever... Sermons often cite them and even singles use them as a reason, excuse, explanation, and justification to commit to a partner.

It is essential to accept the fact that God provided an alternative to loneliness. But I would be the first to recognize the great challenge it is to match find good company.

Going through different seasons in my life, more often than no I grow frustrated rather than being comforted by those words due to not finding people with whom to share my seasons. Although there are many people with whom to share our walk in life, it is difficult to coincide with people who share the same season in which we find ourselves.

I thought for a while in seasons where I've been discouraged. And to my good fortune, I could remember specific people who encouraged me. I remember the people who came to my rescue were living in far advanced seasons compared to me.

Then I considered that while even when sharing the same walk we need people who are going through different seasons compared to ours.

Walking with company welcomes help. I think for this the reason we read the following in Ecclesiastes 4.9-12: " Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed [...]Three are even better, because a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

In the same line of thought, it is necessary to be aware that the quality of people with which we walk with is just as important. The Bible reminds us that walking among wise people keeps us on track. But we are also warned that walking with foolish people brings its consequences.
Proverbs 13.20: Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.
If you took inventory of the people who are part of your current life experiences, where would you say you are headed?

One of the many times that God called to trial the people of Israel for their bad ways, He asks the following question:

Amos 3.3: Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?
It was like saying "you walk with people who lead you to destruction because you accept it and do not object to it!"

I think this question challenges us to take responsibility for the steps we take in life and recognize that no one is forcing us to walk. We decide to walk with the good, the bad, or the ugly because we agree to do so! Period!

So before you start sharing your walk, try to examine what you agree on and see if the destination you want to reach matches.

No comments:

Post a Comment