Saturday, January 3, 2015

..opposite direction..

Day 3
I always walk in the same direction. There is no variation in my route. But on the third day of the year I wondered how do I know which direction to walk? Why is it that I always decide to go in the same direction?

Lately I've been going around Winton Woods twice. So today I walked the first lap in the right direction, in the same direction I always walk. But then I decided to walk the second lap in the opposite direction. I wanted to see how it would feel walking in the opposite direction.

When I started the second round, I realized that walking backwards did not feel natural. I felt uncomfortable walking in the opposite direction. In my mind the landscape did not look the same.

I looked in all directions trying to identify the differences. But the big revelation came when I looked down at the ground. I noticed the mile markers looked backwards.

After staring at this I understood that I always walk in the direction of the mile markers. This is the simple reason that I always walk in the same direction! The detail of the mile markers is my guide.

This made me think that someone had decided the direction that I should walk this path. Long before I laid a foot on the path, a stranger had planned my route!

Then I related this to our walk in life. In Hebrews 12 the Bible tells us to run a race and offers guidance as to how to run it. But forget the verb "run" for a brief moment. I think the key word is RACE.

If you've ever participated in a race you will remember that the route is always planned BEFORE you get there! Participants only show up for jogging or walking. Participants do not give an opinion on the route or direction that everyone should run or walk! It would be illogical!

Similarly, it behooves us to participate in the race of life. Our only responsibility is to walk or run. Move forward step-by-step. Trusting that God has planned the route. Each mile is already marked.

But what to do when we walk in the opposite direction?

In this case we only need to turn around, look up, and walk again; as simple as repenting and starting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment