Thursday, January 1, 2015

..new beginnings..

First mile marker.. first day of the year.
So today, the first day in January 2015, I went for a walk just like every other day over the last few weeks. Although it was a walk like every other day, today was a little different.

I came to spend the Christmas season at my parents’ home in Cincinnati, Ohio. Since I have no access to a gym here, I decided to use the park as my place to exercise. So the last days of 2014, my exercise routine was walking and/or jogging around the lake in Winton Woods.

As soon as I reached the parking lot of the park, I noticed the number of cars. It was strange to me because the last couple of days the parking lot was nearly empty.

I parked. I started walking. The day was bright and there was crispness in the air.

I really enjoy walking in this park because of the silence and stillness all-around. It is a perfect place to escape and meditate while being alone for a while.

However, as I walked I noticed that unlike previous days, I was not alone. Today there were many more people throughout the course. Some walked their dogs. Some families walked in unison. Other individuals and couples walked or jogged diligently as part of their workout routine.

Repeatedly I asked myself why are there so many people in the park today. The temperature was just as cold as the other days; also, today is a holiday and I would expect to see even fewer people.

Halfway through my walk, I remembered that unlike other days today is the FIRST DAY OF THE YEAR!

I remembered that many people start new routines today. Many set new goals and things they wish to achieve.

I laughed out loud.

Then I realized that we always start like this. We start excited. The joy of the first day. The happiness of those first moments. The adrenaline and momentum from starting fresh.

I encourage you to capture the joy you feel a day like today. A new beginning.

Because when that day comes when you do not want to walk, remembering the excitement with which you started will be good medicine. And when that day comes when you have no motivation to do anything, remember the energy you felt in the beginning when you committed to do something.

When those lackluster days come, just remember what you set out to do and the excitement you felt when you started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment