Friday, February 28, 2014

A Monumental Reminder

Flame of Liberty at Place de L'Alma
The City of Light is home to lavish architecture, rich history, inspiring art, and delicious gastronomy and I am fortunate enough to call this place home for the time being. But, just like with any cross-cultural transition in life, this move came with some challenging bits.

Work relocated me to Paris, France less than a month ago. While I live adjacent to Avenue Des Champs-Elysees, each day I travel to work to a building located immediately south of the Seine crossing Pont de l’Alma. My commute is easily traveled by foot in approximately 20 minutes although on occasions I chose to travel by metro in order to avoid the rain.

Regardless of the mode of transportation I chose, each day I find myself awestruck while gazing at the view of the Eiffel Tower in the short horizon and admiring the golden Flame of Liberty. In my morning routine, this picture never seizes to amaze me.

But, I must admit that the amazing bliss turns dull as the day progresses when I find myself listening to everyone speak French around me. The romantic language I once loved so dearly has turned into the cause of exhausting frustration. My inability to fluently understand the language burdens me. Even worse is the perception that Parisians don’t care to facilitate communication. I am haunted by the perception that they have little interest to speak English.

I must admit that the communication impasse started to rob me of the joy of connecting with people. Quite honestly, my desire to develop new relationships was diminishing.

However, a few days ago as I finally decided to investigate the significance of flame featured in my favorite morning view.  Much to my surprise, I learned that this flame is a replica of the flame held by the Statue of Liberty which graces the Hudson River in New York and it was given as a gift to France by the United States.

The base of the monument reads as follows: "The Flame of Liberty. An exact replica of the Statue of Liberty's flame offered to the people of France by donors throughout the world as a symbol of the Franco-American friendship. On the occasion of the centennial of the International Herald Tribune. Paris 1887-1987."

I discovered that the International Herald Tribune celebration was due to the fact that the publication had been printed daily in Paris in the English language. Additionally, I learned that the Flame of Liberty represents a token of appreciation for restoration work performed on the Statue of Liberty by France. 

Since I was starting to recent the disregard by the French to speak English in certain situations, this historical fact enlightened me. It served as a dismissal of the negative thoughts escalating in my mind.

Suddenly I was reminded that my greatest asset is to build lasting relationships and that it is no coincidence that I am in a place where relationships are deeply cherished.

Moreover, regardless of how much French I will not understand throughout the day, or how little English I will hear from my counterparts, looking at the Flame of Liberty each morning reminds me that the Franco-American relationship has an enduring legacy of appreciation. And just like that each morning I am inspired to continue to build a positive space which closes cultural gaps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment