Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cloudy Days

Credits to me for the pic! 

I got up on one of those cloudy mornings in Phoenix. Almost reluctant to do anything, my phlegmatic temperament delighted itself. I wanted to enjoy the serenity of the day with the luxury of living a day of laziness.

Suddenly, my will to exercise was absent, my desire to speak with someone was gone, and my eagerness to find a job ran away. My energy fell to such an extent that all I wanted to do was sleep. (Don’t panic! I'm ok! Keep reading!)

Nevertheless, I shook away my apathy and decided to go for a walk even though I didn’t feel like jogging, much less did I feel like running. As I walked I could not stop staring at the cloudy sky. And while I admired the view, I realized that the day was covered with shades of gray.

Out of all the colors, gray represents the most neutral color of all for me. The color gray is achromatic. Gray is somber. Gray represents something monotonous, dull, boring, and indifferent. And just like something that causes indifference, gray does not inspire any interest in me whatsoever.

Similarly, a cloudy day is gray. It is a dull and gloomy day. It is interesting to note that even in commercials a cloudy day is used to illustrate the illness of depression. Imagine that if many are avoiding depression, it’s no wonder many want to skip a cloudy day that may cause it. Simply, a cloudy day is not desirable.

But in the midst of the dullness of the day, I remembered that a cloudy sky is necessary prior to a rainy day. According to the water cycle, the storage of water in the atmosphere is driven by evaporation, which then provides the source for precipitation. And here lies a great truth!

With respect to rain, it is true that it represents a miracle. Yet, it's truer that the miracle usually comes after waiting. The wait is precisely what I have decided to call cloudy days. The truth of the matter is that although cloudy days are not desirable, they are necessary because they precede the miracle of rain... (To be Continued!)

Now, the question is this: How much do you enjoy cloudy days? And how pleasant is it to wait for something?

2 comments:

  1. I love cloudy days. I really enjoy when the sun tries to peek out be from behind them and it causes bright beams of light to shine through. Waiting for something to me means, that I get to enjoy this physical experience and I enjoy waiting to see what type of creations come about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Authurina, you are absolutely right! Thanks for sharing! I believe every season has it's charm. The charm of waiting is precisely the anticipation of what will come about!

      Delete